Sunday, September 16, 2007

Under Construction


I'm not happy with my hunter...plain & simple. I don't dominate the damage meters, my pet dies constantly, I'm pretty sure my spec is wrong, and theorycrafting makes my face hurt. I've gotten to the point where the only time I play my hunter is if someone in the guild needs a dps/CC for a 5 man and for Kara raids. When I do go to Kara I jump on the chance to give my spot to someone else because I feel they could do a better job than I could...and I'm usually right. I'm fairly certain that Aerislan needs a complete overhaul...gear, talents, everything. I have the basic hunter skills down, I can effectively CC in instances (except those damn spell shades in Kara), I can effectively manage my aggro so as not to give the tanks problems with me pulling mobs (this could be due to my lousy DPS), I know what is expected of me in raids and instances...The main problem I'm facing is the fact that most of the time I would rather play my shaman than log on my hunter and make an ass of myself. I helped a fellow hunter with a quest in in Hellfire Peninsula today (you remember Hellfire right?) and promptly got my ass handed to me by a lvl 63 elite...maybe I'm mistaken...but there really is no excuse for that...I've researched specs and tactics and so on until I was blue in the face yet nothing really seems to change. No matter what I do I always seem to be the lowest DPS on damage meters and therefore the least useful hunter in the guild. I get raid invited to raids for the simply fact that I know my class inside and out, but once it comes to the application of that information I fall short every time...to be perfectly honest I didn't even want to continue with this blog and almost deleted all my posts, but Mrs. B3 wouldn't let me. She thinks that by sharing my thoughts and opinions on my experiences I can get an insight I wouldn't have otherwise...I can only hope she's right. I know I can do better than I am currently...I've just got to figure out how...hell I'm even considering going BM like I was back when Green Whelp Armor was the creme de la creme (I know that isn't true...I just remember slobbering over it when I was lvl 10 and had it in my bank and didn't know better) Stay tuned and maybe I'll turn this thing around for the better...and get ready for some incessant questioning BRK...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't give up.

Don't worry about having no traffic on your blog, either. Just write a lot.

Once you get into the habit, it'll get better, I'm sure. I'm having a hard time keeping it up also; alts keep enticing me.

I ran Kara last night with a lesser group and did way bad. My pet kept dying, I had a hard time CC'ing Moroes' adds, etc. I chalk it up to:

1) I'm a relative BM newbie
2) I'm a total BM-in-a-raid newbie

I just have to get used to keeping Mend Pet cooking at all times and keeping a closer eye on my pet.

Fathgar the Nameless said...

Your build is close to my build, but I put more points in the BM side to allow my pet to tank a bit better in PvE. I should change it up for raiding but I don't. I hate to respec, but I still dont really understand how you can be doing so badly? I can take 68-69 elites no problem and I don't even have the IWIN button like BM Hunters do.

Call me convoluted but I am just thinking that you just got tired of playing a Hunter and want to switch to an ALT. If that is the case then that is fine, it doesn't mean you are a bad Hunter it just means you don't want to play one anymore. Pretty simple in that regard.

Anonymous said...

I really didn't know what kind of hunter I wanted to play until well after I hit Outlands. I have 3 hunters; at one time, each of them had a different spec--MM, BM, SV.

Then I found BRK, and got the BM religion. ;) I wanted to be able to solo/grind effectively, and efficiently, and I wanted to be able to maximize my contribution to a group.

While I haven't done a lot of grouping with my main hunter (Talonis, Kul Tiras-A), I can sure grind solo with him, and I'm kicking butt in 2-, 3-, and 4-man quest groups. The last time I took him to an instance, the only person higher on the damage meter was a 70 rogue (and I was only 67 at the time; I hit 69 last night).

I LIKE being able to go to Wizard Row in Netherstorm and farm mana motes, taking on 3 mobs at once (trap one, kill two). My pet never dies, because he always has Mend Pet going when health is down. The only time I need to drink is when those damn Mageslayers and Mana Beast whatevers suck my mana--otherwise, it's a steady diet of Auto--SS--Auto--SS--KC.

Not saying you SHOULD go BM, but you for sure won't get dropped by a 63 Elite in Hellfire if you do!

A fellow guildie and MM hunter wouldn't think of changing her spec--at 68, she was so proud of taking down a 70 horde mage who snuck into IF the other morning (Silencing Shot FTW!). And she loves her crits. (So did I when I was MM--and I sure do miss Silencing Shot.)

It's not that expensive to respec--and practically free (10s) to do so with your pet--so maybe try the basic BM build for a week or two, solo AND grouped.

And keep on bloggin'! ;)

Kestrel

Syralis said...

Hi,

Hang in there man. Take it from someone who had to grind his way from 50-70 solo. I am the worst hunter out there as I have no raid experience and not all that much instance experience unless I get in a PuG. I certainly can't trap and CC very well, just not enough practice in real-world situations. I agree that maybe you should try BM again, I like it myself and if it doesn't work for you, you can always re-spec back to MM. Good luck in whatever you decide. Keep on blogging!!

Galamar of Staghelm
wowhuntersden.blogspot.com

Annai said...

While not BM, your spec looks OK, but the Armory is coughing up a furball and I can't see the details. Your RAP looks a little low for how many points you have in MM. Kinda hard to tell, but keep at it. As you start getting gear from Kara -- and the first boss has 3 things you'll want -- it starts getting better pretty quickly. After Attumen, your next gear will come from Opera, mostly. Maybe the gloves from Maiden. Keep yer chin up! :)