Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Anthies: A Tribute


Antheis (pronounced an-the-es), has been my pet for quite sometime now, long enough for me to forget how long it's been anyway. We've seen some pretty amazing stuff together, from Netherspite to that 63 hunter we saw in Hellfire Peninsula wearing Herod's Shoulder (no joke) among various other lvl 40 items. We even got in a rather heated argument with our best friend about why he was my primary pet. I finally won the argument when I explained why I chose this particular pet and named him Anthies.

A long time ago there was a game much like WoW, only you couldn't play it on a computer. Come to think of it, I didn't even own a computer back then. This game was played using massive amounts of notebook paper, calculators, a stack of books that would crush a minivan and dice. Some of the older generations might know this game, for you young'uns it was called AD&D (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons...go ahead and laugh, but it was still fun). Joey, a very good friend of mine, played a human warrior named, you guessed it, Anthies. Anthies suffered all kinds of misfortune at Joey's hands, yet he just wouldn't die, no matter what the DM threw at him. Joey unfortunately wasn't so lucky. About 2 years ago Joey was killed by a drunk driver a week before his 22nd birthday. He was like a brother to me and losing him devastated me and the rest of our circle of friends.

While questing in Terrokar Forest I recieved a quest to find and kill a wolf named Ironjaw. I tracked him down and immediately thought of Joey once I saw him. I'm not sure why, he just reminded me of him & Anthies. I killed him for the quest and then waited for him to respawn so I could tame him. I didn't use my normal trapping method of ice trapping then taming to avoid taking as much damage, because frankly Anthies never went quietly into anything, and after being reduced to about 25 hit points I got him and promptly named him. We've been together ever since.

He may not be the highest damaging pet, he may not be the coolest looking pet, but I think every time he gets a killing blow, Joey smiles and brags about how he is still the uberest gamer in history. He's just my way of immortalizing someone that changed my life, and the lives of everyone who came in contact with him, and I don't see him getting replaced any time soon...unless I can tame a dragonling...

5 comments:

Sellia said...

It's a sad story ...

But i'm sure your friend would have liked this idea ... I think it's a nice way to remember him.

Hexapuma said...

It is kind of strange how certain almost random things can trigger memories of people or events. Usually music or certain smells can have that effect on me. Eitherway it seems like you truly have a bond with your hunter pet =)

Anton said...

This is why we play.

You shouldn't choose a pet, roll a toon, or any of the other choices, based on stats, and lots of theory number crunching.

You should make your choices, and play the game, because you enjoy it. Because it feels good. Because there's an emotional attachment.

And a little number crunching on side doesn't hurt.

Many joyful hunts and quests, to you and Antheis.

Syralis said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend Joey. I think what you did was a great way to remember and honor him. I too would be hard-pressed to replace Antheis. I completely agree with Anton choose a pet because you enjoy it and let all the number crunching bean counters be on their way. Besides I like wolves. :-). Happy hunting!

Syralis said...

I forgot to mention that I played AD&D for awhile myself. I too enjoyed the game, used to play all night sometimes. I never got very far but I enjoyed playing.