Friday, December 7, 2007

On Kiting, Zul'Aman & Gear Upgrades


I had one of the best instance runs in my WoW career the other night. It was almost as much fun as the time I went to Shattered Halls and the Ret pally was tanking and healing. This time we were in Shadow Labs, yes I'm still trying to get the Sonic Spear. The group makeup wasn't ideal by any means. Fury warrior tanking, two enhancement shamans healing, my wife's mage and myself. What made the run so great was the attitude of everyone in the group. Rather than bickering about who caused who to die, and no it wasn't a wipefest, we just resed the dead and moved on. Attitude makes a big difference when grouping. If you're in a group full of pissed of people, it's going to make the run seem to drag on and eventually you'll be in a bad mood too. At one point the tank dced and we had a 3 man pull left before the first boss. After a brief discussion, we decided that I was going to tank the pull. Mage sheeped on, I trapped one and kited the other while the shammy's healed/dpsed it down. The tank came back in the middle of the pull and was laughing when he saw that we had pulled and weren't dropping like flies. Then we aggroed the boss before we were ready so that wasn't as fun. We managed to get him down with no deaths though so it wasn't all bad. Then we got to the auditorium pulls and I accidentally broke my own trap (I'm my own worst enemy sometimes) and trap still had 2about 15 seconds to go so I decided to kite this one as well. I almost died, but one of the shaman's threw a heal my way as I ran past with the mob trailing. It made my day when the tank said that he forgot there were actually good hunters out there. I've certainly been called much worse. After that I was assigned a kiting target on the rest of the pulls. I love kiting! It's not something you can just pick up and start doing right away, it takes skill and demonstrates that a hunter at least has a firm grasp on their abilities. Now I just need to learn how to double trap when the un-break it.

Zul'Aman...Zul'Gurub's pissed off little brother. Went for the first time last night, and it was interesting to say the least. RF has only gotten to the bear boss, but we haven't focused on ZA due to the fact that we are trying to progress further into SSC. It is definitely more challenging than Kara, but still fun. We had a few wipes clearing to the bear boss, and wiped 3 times on the boss himself, but once we moved some people around and got a rhythm established we burned him down without a problem...which leads me to my rant...

Does anyone remember before TBC was released, and when you got your tier armor the only thing you upgraded it with was the next set of tier armor or nothing at all? WTF happened to that?! I know the loot in ZA is supposed to be better than the loot in Kara, it's a harder raid, of course it's going to yield better drops. The drops should not be on par with T4 in my opinion. My T4 shoulders, fully gemmed and enchanted are only slightly better than [Pauldrons of Primal Fury], which means as soon as I slap some gems on them and get the
[Greater Inscription of Vengeance] applied to them they'll blow my T4 out of the water. I'm not happy about it, and I wasn't happy that they made me take them either...they were an upgrade for the other hunter as well, but when I said I didn't want to break up my t4 gear I was told to "Get over it, you're going to have to break the set up sooner or later.", and later I shall...when I get my t5 shoulders...

/rant off

Take care and happy hunting!

3 comments:

Pict said...

Argh, I know how you feel about groups arguing about who caused deaths, so usually on big Wipes I say it was my fault, saves alot of time, it reduces my chances to get gear if someone else needs it, but I'm on a tight schedule. :) Grats... I mean sorry... I mean grats... WHATEVER on the shoulders.

Anonymous said...

Last time I checked, I actually thought that those ZA shoulders were even better than t5. That really makes me a sad panda, because I'm really looking forward to the t5 set bonuses.

Anonymous said...

If you're in SSC you'll prob get the T5 gloves and legs fairly quickly. Your guild is right, ditch the T4 and use the ZA shoulders. The HR on them is better than T5 sure, probably because the ZA loot is designed to fix obvious problems with older loot drops. Unless you're survival HR is a real problem late raiding imho.
Chromaoran