Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A Hunter Born

DISLAIMER: This is a work in progress, changes will be made, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure the format is entirely correct. My creative writing/english class days are far behind me. If successful I will more than likely make a separate blog so as not to "clutter" this one. Here is the prologue and the very beginning of Chapter 1. Enjoy and feedback is highly encouraged.

Prologue: A Father's Wishes

The bulky wooden armor seemed to hinder every attempt to parry the rather large, albeit wooden greatsword constantly battering him. Frustration and fatigue were taking their steady toll in sweat and bruises as well. The helm slipping down over his eyes effectively blinding him was more than he could take. Disgusted, he threw his own wooden sword on the ground at his father's feet, only to be rewarded with a swift rap on the top of the head. "Stop!" he cried out in anger. His father's laughter only fueled his anger further. "What seems to be the problem, Aerislan?"
"I can't even defend myself in this armor! Why can't I just wear leather or mail armor?" he asked almost sulkily. "Because leather armor is for druids and shiftless rogues." a grin spreading across the elder night elf's angular features. Might as well be running around in one of those fancy dresses those haughty mages in Stormwind are so fond of."
"You left out gnomes and dwarves."
"Dwarves are noble creatures, a bit too uncivilized for my taste, but noble nonetheless. I'd rather not discuss the matter of gnomes. Always meddling in things that are better left alone, and the fall of Gnomeregan is more than proof of that fact, son. Besides how do you expect to battle the Horde without a sturdy suit of armor and a sharp blade, my petulant offspring." Aerislan's scowl intensified as he met his father's eyes. "There are such things as short swords and axes, father. Maybe I'll even use a bow, or a gun! Not these ungainly over sized greatswords you are so fond of." he said thinking the argument won. "I'll have none of that foolish talk from you, Aerislan. You're to become a Darnassian Sentinel and make something of yourself. I'll not have you guarding some half-forgotten hovel like our dear old Astranaar!" his father's voice had taken on a very somber, yet almost sorrowful tone. "You'll not suffer the same fate as I, Aerislan. I'll not have it." he said, almost at a whisper. "If you like, we'll forget about training tomorrow and you can go to Dolanaar to get the food and supplies for the week."
"I'm sorry father. I didn't mean to upset you." Aerislan said in a sincere voice, tinged with pity. "I might even turn a blind eye to the fact that you'll probably stop and visit with Celesx." his father said with a wink. The shocked look on his face betrayed the lie he struggled to form, and was promptly cut off by his father's laughter. "I've seen the way you float around the house after returning, and I've heard you whisper her name a time or two. Don't be embarassed, she's a comely lass, but I'll have your hide for boot leather if you tell your mother I said so. Take off your amor and go wash up, it's almost time for supper anyway."
He hastily extracted himself from the cumbersome armor and stowed it along with the pair of makeshift swords in the small lean-to shed on the side of the cottage and rushed inside to eat and go to bed, anxious to be off to Dolanaar at first light.


Chapter 1: A Son's Decision

He was already sitting at the table eagerly awaiting breakfast when his father and mother walked into the small kitchen. His mother arched an eyebrow in his direction as she entered, turning her gaze towards her husband. "Arenthal, dear, would you happen to know why our son, who usually has to be rolled out of bed on most mornings is sitting at the table looking as if he had wings he'd have already taken flight?" she asked in an amused tone. Arenthal chuckled and replied "Well, dearest Kiralin, I may have promised the boy..."
"I'm just as old as you were when you joined the guard!" Aerislan said indignantly. "Hush you!" Arenthal continued. "I might have promised the boy that he could skip training today and go to Dolanaar to get supplies for the week." Kiralin pursed her lips together, "Making a stop along the way to visit with Celesx I presume." she stated in a humorous, yet questioning tone. Aerislan blushed, betraying his intentions and suddenly found something outside the solitary window of the kitchen very interesting. His mother laughed, placing a hand on her husband's forearm. "He's almost as bad as you were when you began trying to catch my attention Arenthal."


5 comments:

Pict said...

Teehee, I like it :)
Is Celesx a real person, or fantasy? also, did your dad play WoW :o?
:P

Sellia said...

This first bit is really interesting.
I'll be watching for more.

Unknown said...

I like it. Let me know when I can read more! Almost makes me want to start writing. Almost.

Syralis said...

A,

Good job man, I really enjoyed it. Keep it coming bro.

Pike said...

I would definitely be interested in more of these =)